Chateau Le bon pasteur
Founded around 1920 by Joseph and Hermine Dupuy, and gradually increased by Serge and Geneviève Rolland and later by their children, to its present size. In 1978, Jean-Daniel and Michel Rolland inherit the domain from their father Serge Rolland, who died prematurely. The 6.6 hectare vineyards in Pomerol are located around the family home in the village "Maillet" and still maintains the original name of "Le Bon Pasteur", while two other domains are created in the appellation Lalande de Pomerol (Bertineau Saint-Vincent) and Saint Emilion Grand Cru (Rolland-Maillet).
A new winery was built in 1987 and equipped with small tanks of 70 hl with reversible thermal control.
The vineyards are spread over 23 lots on the border of Pomerol and Saint-Emilion. The grounds are very diverse: from clay and gravel, sand or gravel on a base of sand and clay with traces of iron oxide. The grape varieties are made up of Merlot (80 to 85%) and Cabernet Franc (15 to 20%) with some old plots. The average age of the vines is over 40 years old with some vines that are over 60 years old. The average density amounts 6,500 vines / ha.
Since the 90s, special attention was paid to the improvement of agricultural methods to obtain the optimal ripeness and ensure the quality of the grapes (cluster thinning, pest control ...).