In the early eighteenth century, Jean-François de Pontet, equerry to the King, was chosen as governor of the Medoc region and purchased several parcels of land located in Pauillac . A few years later, his descendants added neighboring vineyards in the town of Canet. And so began the history of one of the most famous wine estates in the Médoc.
One hundred years later, the famous 1855 classification is still being remembered. Pontet-Canet was owned by the family Cruse , until the estate was sold to Guy Tesseron in 1975