In the eighteenth century, the Rieussec estate belonged to the monks "Carmelites of Langon". The seizure of the domain during the revolution led to its sale in 1790 as "national property" to Mr. Marheilhac, at that time owner of Château La Louvière at Léognan.
In the 1855 ranking, founded by Napoleon, M. Mayne was the owner. The quality of the Rieussec soil was recognized as Premier Cru Classé of Sauternes and Barsac. From that date, the history of Rieussec is littered with ownership changes: Charles Crepin (around 1870), Paul Defolie (1892), M. Bannil (1907), then the family GASQUETON (owner of Château Calon-Segur inSaint-Estèphe), PF Berry during the war (an American citizen and brother of Viscount Bouzet, the Viscount of BALARESQUE (1957) and finally, Albert Vuillier (1971), passionate lover of the "sweet wines" of Sauternes.
The Château Rieussec is acquired by Domaines Barons de Rothschild (Lafite) in 1984, while the domain is expanded to 110 hectares, including 68 hectares of vineyards.